Saturday, October 1, 2016

More Visual Coding and an Intro to Text-based Coding with Vidcode: Week 4 Reflection

This week, we were asked to continue our exploration of visual coding by reviewing the concepts we practiced in Scratch (and a couple new ones).  We reviewed the broadcast command, creating variables, and using if/else statements.  Then, we were given the chance to compare Scratch with a more complex graphical platform, Snap, that allows the integration of more complex loops and functions. One thing that I learned about Scratch, that I didn't know before, is that you can create lists that may be used to substitute out different variables, such as a random interjection or greeting, to make a game seem more interesting. While I saw the immediate value in creating variables for keeping score, for example, or using broadcast to have sprites communicate with one another, I had to watch more than one video to understand why I'd want to use a list.  In this game (also embedded below), I've used if statements, broadcast, and a couple of lists to vary dialogue between my sprites depending upon what was happening.  The object is to use the up, down, left, and right keys to move the puppy to the fire hydrant, without touching one of the crazy squirrels.  There is currently only one round to this game, but I applied a lot of new learning here (and had fun in the process).



I also continued to work through the CS First Game Design challenges, eventually completing them all.


I thoroughly enjoyed Snap's Hour of Code activity, because the scaffolding was just right. By the time I was finished, I'd learned how to program a game with a little critter that moved randomly, and kept getting faster and faster, while I tried to click him with my mouse.  The game kept score, kept track of the maximum score, and would even erase the annoying drawing marks as a gift to any player who reached the maximum score.  I even dreamed about this game, trying hard to remember how certain outcomes had been achieved.  



We were also asked to complete some of the free tutorials offered by Vidcode, in order to compare graphical coding with text-based coding.  I'd heard of Vidcode before, but I hadn't spent much time exploring it prior to our assignment.  I completed all six of the free tutorials, because they were engaging and intuitive, and only took a couple of hours.  I don't have a formal education in Computer Science or coding, but JavaScript seems pretty easy to learn compared with the limited bits of Python I've been trying to better understand.  Text-based coding isn't a new concept for me, but I am in a place where I'm ready to dig deeper and learn more, in order to really do more with it.  I like the way that Vidcode mixes coding with photo and video editing; it's a great way to teach coding concepts in manageable chunks with the possibility of creating something with a pretty funky outcome.  The links to my creations are below, as well as a couple of screenshots.

No comments:

Post a Comment